Learn how to make great video for Facebook, YouTube, Your Own Online TV Show, Drama, Local Events and much much more

Saturday 14 November 2015

Start a Personal Video Blog. A Vlog!!

Starting a personal video blog is easy. Pick up a camera or smartphone, film and upload. And that's it. At its simplest no editing, no title, no background music. And the results can be interesting and watchable. I've made several videos in this vein and here is my formula that works.

First I always use the selfie model, secondly I keep the video length down to less that 2 minutes, thirdly the content has to be conversational like talking to a friend, fourth I think through what I'm going to say before recording so I have a plan, and last there should be something worth listening to and about. I try to keep to one take but inevitably re-do about 4 or 5 times. I do believe that each take is better than the previous but you are never going to be perfect so just finish and download.

Now lets look at each facet. Running this in selfie model is good. People like talking heads because they hear the words, see your lips move and subconsciously decipher your body language - just like you were there in person. And when you realise that we rely about 80% of what we see only on 20% of what we hear body language is a big deal.

Try to look at the camera lens. Many people look at the screen where they see themselves but the camera is often situated at the top. You'll see a pinprick, check by covering with your finger and if the screen goes black then you've got it. Look at the camera and you'll seem more intimate to viewers. Try to get an interesting background but fill the screen top to bottom with you face and shoulders. Many hold the camera as far away as possible to make themselves smaller, and this is wrong. Viewer want to see you. We are all a bit apprehensive about how we look on screen. Don't worry, you will look fine.

 Try to look happy unless you are talking about something really serious. I look at myself and think I look miserable. I just don't know.

Because you've thought through what you will say it will be easier not to hesitate. Stumbling over words, hesitation and umms or errs are really irritating. The good news is, however, that practice makes perfect. So don't worry too much with your first efforts.

Keep it short. You can usually get your message across in less than two minutes. This is a great control and will ensure you cover just the essentials. Firstly surfers will stay for 2 or 3 seconds to see if interesting and if there is no impact they'll leave immediately. Otherwise they stay but the average is less than a minute. So you've got to make it really interesting. OK your family will not only watch everything you film, but they'll watch over again. But not the man in the street. I try and give some factual information first then a point I want to get across. Look at the video on this blog and you'll see what I mean. 

When you are talking think that you are having a conversation with one person. Maybe you are telling someone in your family or a friend. This will make the video more intimate and will hold the viewers attention. And it's easier to think you are talking direct to someone you know than an impersonal camera.

I try to do it right first time and when I re-shoot I keep thinking this is the last. Inevitably I do about 4 or 5 retakes and each one is better. Just give it a go. You'll be bettrer than you think.

Now for the final act. Upload to Facebook or Youtube. Job done. If you find this useful or want more information make a comment at the bottom of the page. Go out there and shoot a mega movie.













No comments:

Post a Comment